Welcome to HerodAntipas.com - by Morten Hørning Jensen, PhD
This site serves to accompany my book, Herod Antipas in Galilee (published by Mohr Siebeck 2006/2010), as well as to present my succeding research into the secrets of Roman Galilee.
Articles on the socio-economic living conditions in Roman Galilee published (or accepted for publication) after Herod Antipas in Galilee:
- Forthcoming. "Taricheae/Magdala during the Great Jewish Revolt". In Magdala, Jewish City of Fish. Eds. Richard Bauckham, Mordecai Aviam, Stefano De Luca. Baylor University Press.
- Forthcoming. "The Political Situation in Galilee 1st Century BCE to 2nd Century CE". In Galilee in the Late Second Temple and Mishnaic Periods. Vol. 1: Life, Culture, and Society. Eds. David A. Fiensy and James R. Strange. Fortress Presss.
- Forthcoming. "Herod Antipas". In Routledge Dictionary of Ancient Mediterranean Religions.
- Forthcoming. “Herod Antipas, The New Testament”. The Encyclopedia of the Bible and Its Reception, DeGruyter. Online: http://www.degruyter.com/view/db/ebr
- 2013. “Purity and Politics in Herod Antipas' Galilee: The Case for Religious Motivation." In Journal for the Study of the Historical Jesus 11:3-34.
- 2012. "Climate, Droughts, Wars and Famines in Galilee as a Background for Understanding the Historical Jesus." Journal for Biblical Literature.
- 2012. "Rural Galilee and Rapid Change: An Investigation of the Socio-Economic Dynamics and Developments in Roman Galilee." Biblica 93:43-67. Online here.
- 2012. ”Herod Antipas – A Shadow of Death on Jesus?”. Biblical Archaeology Review, 38:5 pp.42-46. Partly online here.
- 2012. “The Galilean Cradle of Jesus and his Followers”, i Chosen to Follow: Jewish Believers Through History and Today, red. Jakob Wilms Nielsen and Knut Helge Høyland, Caspari Center, pp1-22.
- 2012. ”Gudsriget og korset – historien om, hvordan to modsætninger blev evangelium”. In DTTK 2002-2:19-35.
- 2011. "Conflicting Calls? Family and Discipleship in Mark and Matthew in the Light of First-Century Galilean Village life." In Mark and Matthew, Texts and Contexts I: Understanding the First Gospels in their First Century Settings. Edited by Eve-Marie Becker and Anders Runesson. Mohr Siebeck.
- 2010. "Jesus + loven = MMMC." Article in Dansk tidsskrift for teologi og kirke. 2010-1. Online here.
- 2008. "Herodes Antipas in Galiläa – Freund oder Feind des historischen Jesus?" Jesus und die Archäologie Galiläas, red. Jörg Frey og Carsten Claussen. Neukirchener: Neukirchen-Vluyn, 39-73. 34 s.
- 2008. "Galilæa, jord og den historiske Jesus." Dansk Teologisk Tidsskrift, 71:3, 149-170.
- 2008. "Landliv og livsvilkår: Galilæas socio-økonomiske situation i det første århundrede." Collegium Biblicums Årsskrift, 2008:45-64.
- 2007. "Message and Minting: The Coins of Herod Antipas in Their Second Temple Context As a Source for Understanding the Religio−Political and Socio−Economic Dynamics of Early First Century Galilee." In Religion, Ethnicity and Identity in Ancient Galilee. Red. Jürgen Zangenberg, Harold Attridge, and Dale B. Martin. Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck, 277-314.
- 2007. "Herod Antipas in Galilee: Friend or Foe of the Historical Jesus, i tidsskriftet." Journal for the Study of the Historical Jesus, no. 1:7-32. Online here.
- 2006. "Josephus and Antipas: A Case Study of Josephus’ Narratives on Herod Antipas." In Making History: Josephus and Historical Method. Red. Zuleika Rodgers. Leiden: Brill.
Only scholarly/peer reviewed articles is listed here. For a full list of my publications, see here.
Herod Antipas in Galilee - the book:
Herod Antipas in Galilee was originally published in 2006 and a second edition was released in 2010. It can be purchased here:
Mohr Siebeck: link.
Amazon.com: link.Via google-books it is partly available online.Or it can be bought as eBook here.
2006: Awarded the University of Aarhus’ ’prize for the best PhD-dissertation (theology)’, cf. link.
2007: ’Book of the Month’ in Expository Times, vol. 118, no. 11, pp. 542-43, cf. link.
From the reviews:
“There is much to recommend in Jensen’s study… This book should be read by all serious scholars of the history, politics and social-context of first-century Galilee. This study is a superb piece of scholarship and forms the new benchmark in shaping understandings of Herod Antipas." Paul Foster inThe Expository Times (2007), 11:542-543.
“This is an important study, one that no scholar writing on the cultural climate of first-century Galilee or the historical Jesus can afford to ignore. It is a fine exemplar of thoroughness and nuance and will quickly become the standard reference work on Herod Antipas’s impact on the region.” Mark A. Chancey, Review of Biblical Literature.
“This seems to be a model historical study.” L.L. Grabbe in Journal for the Study of the Old Testament – Book List 31.5 (2007), S. 48-49.
Read a summarising article:
- 2007: ”Herod Antipas in Galilee: Friend or Foe of the Historical Jesus”, in Journal for the Study of the Historical Jesus, no. 1, 2007.
The plates in the back of the book can be viewed here in full colour: choose 'Image Gallery' in the navigation panel to the left.
Content of this page:
Herod Antipas in Galilee: Read more about the book.
Reviews: List of reviews.
Articles and Papers: Research papers and published articles on Galilee in the Roman period.
Image Gallery: Plates and photos.
About: Presentation of Morten Hørning Jensen.